Kotobukiya / The Convenience Store for Anime and Figure Lovers
Located at the heart of Akihabara anime town, Kotobukiya is one of the most famous stores in the area (very near to another famous store, Animate). The shop offers wide range of products for anime and game lovers, ranging from character goods from popular anime, high quality figures, to tool kits for figure makers. All are packed in the four-story Kotobukiya building.
First Floor: Popular Anime goods and Figures
When walking into the shop, the first thing greeting you in the middle of the shop is a product stand decorated with the popular anime or characters at that time (this month’s is a famous box-shaped character, “Danboard” or “Dan-bo” in Japanese).
Inside the store, there are wide variety of goods and figures from various animated series and games such as Attack on Titan, Hatsune Miku, Yotsuba, Danboard, long-standing popular games like the Final Fantasy series, and also popular figures from Monster Hunter. Goods on display on this floor are very popular among foreign tourists as they are made with high quality craftsmanship, but come with affordable prices.
Second Floor: Anime and Game Character Goods and Ghibli’s Forest
Proceeding to the second floor, the area is packed with character goods from both recently famous anime and games (e.g. Kuroko no Basuke, Uta Princes, and Yowamishi Pedal), and nostalgic childhood anime like Sailor Moon.
Also, there is one interesting corner displaying Ghibli’s character goods such as the beloved fluffy Totoro and the cute black cat from Kiki’s Delivery Service.
Third Floor: Figure-lover’s Heaven
Pretty girls are all around the floor. On the third floor, guys (and maybe girls too) can enjoy being surrounded by absolutely gorgeous girl figures. These figures are made with supreme quality with extraordinary attention to detail you can almost see them move in front of your eyes!
And to keep your precious figures in good shape at all time, there are mountains of acrylic figure cases and display tables to choose from in many sizes, colors, and functions.
Fourth Floor; International Character Goods, Imported Figures
Not only figures and goods from Japanese anime and games, Kotobukiya offers some of those products from internationally famous series such as Star Wars, Marvel heroes, and Metal Gear Solid. Some of these figures are imported. You might be interested in buying a Star Wars necktie or a lightsaber to feel the force within you!
Other than international character goods and figures, Kotobukiya also sells many kinds of robot figures and model kits (e.g. from Evangelion and Zoids) which you can enjoy putting them together yourself.
Moreover, you can purchase some of the necessary tool kits like paints or cutters on this floor and use them to create your own masterpiece at home.
How to Purchase Some Items at Kotobukiya
Some items displayed at Kotobukiya (especially expensive figures and large-sized goods) are not shelved in large quantity and only have a sample displayed. In those cases, the customers have to pick up a card indicating the name, price, and product’s code, hand it to the cashier and have them bring out the goods. They will ask you to check if what they brought out is exactly what you want to buy, so you do not have to worry too much about not getting what you are looking for.
In other cases, you might have to order product such as large, high quality figures by filling in the slip available next to the figure display as illustrated in pictures below.
Notes Shopping at Kotobukiya
• Kotobukiya provides a floor guide pamphlet in English and Chinese and you can communicate with the staff in English.
• You can take photos of figures or character goods in most of the display cases. However, there are some goods on display that you cannot take photos of, so please kindly confirm with the staff if it is okay to take some graphic memories home.
• The shop provides gift wrapping service FREE of charge and also international delivery service (service charges will be collected) to your home anywhere in the world.
• For internet shoppers living in the US, you can also visit Kotobukiya’s online store (US site) to shop over the internet (for other countries, Kotobukiya is still on discussion stage, unfortunately–ordering on the Japanese website only works for those living in Japan).
• Sadly, there is no tax refund.
• However, you can apply for point card and use it to receive a discount the next time you visit the store.
Opening hours: 10:00-20:00 (everyday, no holidays)
Address: 1-8-8 Sotokanda, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 101-0021
URL: http://www.kotobukiya.co.jp/ (in Japanese)